Sat a minute from the foreshore of the historic Portsmouth Harbour The Dairy House is a lovely, sprawling detached Victorian house situated in the southern coastal town of Gosport, a seaside peninsular with over 24 miles of waterfront access. The 7 bedrooms sleep 16 guests in 5ft king double or single beds plus additional visitors if requested and is ideal for special get togethers, family holidays, business or crew accommodation.
- 7 double bedrooms sleeping 16 (+ 4)
- King double or single beds to suit with all linen provided
- 5 showers and large corner bath with all towels provided
- Splendid large dining room seating 16 (+ 4)
- Super fun gamesroom with pool/table tennis + 50″Tv/Wii
- Large kitchen, fully equipped for self catering
- Wireless broadband
- I-Pod docking stations/bluetooth speaker
- Tastefully and comfortably furnished
- Private gardens and off road parking for up to 5 vehicles
- Limited hot tub availability (at additional cost, please contact us for further details)
- 1 minute from the foreshore with great harbour views
- 4 minute ferry ride to Portsmouth and Gunwharf Quays
- Ferry to Gunwharf Quays up until 2am weekdays and 4am weekends
- Self catering with private chef and other catering options available
- Short breaks available all year round
- Recent winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence
Each of the 7 lovely bedrooms have superior quality kingsize double beds which can separate to create 2 singles and are made up with crisp white cotton linen and fresh white towels for all guests. 2 of the bedrooms are ‘family’ rooms which can sleep 3/4, whichever your request, plus some of the bedrooms can also accommodate children’s cots where required.
The 5 high spec bathrooms all have quality fitted showers and the main 1st floor bathroom is also fitted with a large corner bath (complete with giant duck), with all towelling provided.
The kitchen comes fitted with all essential mod cons and is fully equipped for self catering with a large range style gas cooker, washing machine, dishwasher, an American style fridge freezer, etc and there is even a second fridge freezer if required.
The adjacent dining room is home to a splendid large oak 16 seater dining table with 16 matching leather high backed dining chairs plus a smaller overspill table and 4 chairs to allow dining for 20 with French doors leading out onto the patio.
The lounge also comfortably seats 20 with binoculars in front of the large picture window to view the goings on in the Harbour and across to Portsdown Hill beyond with the 3 sofas converting to bed settees if required.
In addition the property boasts a super fun games room with a pool/snooker table, table tennis table, a 50″ TV and Wii plus plenty of games to keep young and old amused with French doors leading out onto the patio.
The conservatory is off the dining and games room and is east facing with small bistro tables and chairs and occasional wicker armchairs where it is lovely to escape with your morning tea and toast and enjoy the first of the morning sun.
Finally there are the gardens, the front laid mainly to the drive for up to 5 vehicles and the rear being accessed from French doors from the dining room, games room and conservatory with a raised flagstone patio with table, chairs and parasol, an all weather artificial lawned area and a large hard standing with table and chairs. You can also hire in a Hot Tub, if desired (Conditions apply-please contact us for further details).
Our prices advertised on our website are for up to 16 people but we can accommodate 2/4 more guests within the bedrooms on John Lewis bed chairs or futon style bed cubes and we have 3 double bed settees within the lounge with the additional guests over 16 being charged at a rate of £25 per week/part week per head or we charge £25 per set of extra linen requested.
All linen and towels are provided and are changed weekly with a mid week maid service available on request. Child cots, highchairs and stairgates also available at no extra cost. (If cots are provided guests are asked to please bring their own childs bedding).
Prior to your stay we are happy to help arrange any activities you may wish to organise and answer any questions regarding the local area or things to possibly do. We can also help organise catering options at the property, be it an ‘a la carte’ meal for a special occasion, a hearty breakfast to see you through the day, afternoon tea, or an informal barbecue in the garden. For menu choices etc please see the following link –private dining
* Our star system is based on current English standards
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to the suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services on offer for all guests/visitors.
The Dairy House is a self catering, 7 bedroom Victorian detached house in the southern coastal town of Gosport, 30 seconds from the foreshore of the historic Portsmouth Harbour. It sleeps up to 16(+4) guests and is suitable for get togethers, family holidays, business or crew accommodation. The property is situated set back from a quiet street, the surrounding area being fairly flat with some harbour views only a short 2 minute walk away. The house is well appointed with good access to local shops, the town centre, attractions and local bus routes. It provides a comprehensive welcome folder for guests outlining important and useful information with contact numbers available for the owners.
- For full details and maps of how to reach the property see the directions and maps section of www.completeholidayhomes.co.uk. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp; simply enter your postcode and the houses, which is PO12 4LF to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Portsmouth harbour which is a couple of miles away on the Portsmouth side of Gosport / Portsmouth ferry which is a short 5 minute boat journey over the water. Taxis are available this side of the harbour. If you require an wheelchair accessible taxi this can be booked locally from Sky Cars on 02392 522522.
- The property is set over three levels and has some fairly narrow Victorian doorways which fall short of the recommended width for wheelchair access, so the property would not be suitable for those chair dependent.
- There are local shops that provide equipment hire should you need it and if you do have any requirements let us know and we will be pleased to help. We would happily recommend ‘Solent Mobility Center’ 023 9200 9999, http://solentmobility.co.uk/.
- A welcome hamper is provided upon your arrival which gives some of the basics and local shops are within a 5 minute walk.
- The Welcome Folder and this Access Statement are available in larger print on request.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- You will be met at the property, shown around and offered useful local knowledge to assist you in your stay.
- Parking is available right outside the front door for 3 cars and there is additional roadside parking subject to availability. The front curb is dipped and the pea shingle area to the front of the property leads directly to the front door. Visibility to the front is provided by streetlights giving a good level of coverage.
Entrance to Property
- The front door is 26.5” wide.
- There is one step up into the property and a small step down into the main hallway.
- The entrance is well lit by ceiling mounted pendent lights.
- The floor to the entrance is ceramic tiled.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The passage way to the ground floor is 34.5” wide.
- The floor is laid with vinyl tiles.
- The main staircase has 15 steps to the 1st floor landing and is carpeted along with the upper landing area.
- The staircase is fairly narrow with a handrail situated to the right hand side.
- The sitting room / lounge is situated on the 1st floor with 1 step down from the landing area.
- The floor covering is laminate.
- The door opening is 26.5” wide.
- The room has a good mixture of seating with sofas and stool cubes, all the furniture is movable but there is good access around the whole of this room.
- The room is well lit with large windows to 3 aspects providing a great deal of natural light, additional light sources are table lamps and ceiling mounted pendant lights when needed.
- The dining room is situated on the ground floor and has a wooden, even floor and a doorway of 26.5” wide
- The access to this room is level with no steps present.
- The room has a main table with upholstered seating for up to 16, an additional table with seating for 2/4 and a 2 seater sofa to relax on. The furniture is all movable if necessary, however again there is good access to the room and a good space within for maneuverability.
- Lighting is good and well provided by natural light with additional table lamps and pendent lighting when needed.
- The kitchen is situated on the ground floor with level access from the hallway and dining room. The floor covering is ceramic tiles.
- The door openings are 27” wide.
- The oven doors drop down and the maximum height of these is 30”, the hob is 37” from the floor.
- The microwave is 36” from the floor level.
- Work surfaces / food preparation areas are 36” from the floor.
- The cupboards containing crockery and foodstuffs are 57” from the floor and set above the work surfaces.
- The height of the highest shelf to the fridge is 59” and the lowest drawer 12”, the freezers top shelf is 47” and the lowest 12”.
- The sink tap is a single lever mixer type.
- Lighting is good from large windows and a 4 spotlight ceiling bar provides artificial light when needed.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There are 7 bedrooms within the property, 2 are situated on the ground floor with 4 situated on the second and 1 on the top, 2nd floor.
- The doorways to the ground and 1st floor bedrooms are approximately 27 /28” wide, the doorway to the top, 2nd floor bedroom is 22” wide.
- Six of the bedrooms have a short pile carpet as a floor covering with the seventh being polished floorboards.
- The beds are zip link 5’ King size and the configuration can be changed to singles to accommodate guests needs. The mattress heights are 26’’.
- Access around the sides of the beds is around 26” at the widest points.
- Bedding materials are cotton sheets and polyester pillows and duvets, additional feather pillows are available.
- All bedrooms have ceiling mounted pendent lights along with bedside table lights.
- The colours of the walls and floor covering are relatively neutral however the contrast between these is generally good.
- There is a good selection of storage options within each room with wardrobes and chests of drawers, rail heights in the wardrobes are not adjustable.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- There are 5 bathrooms situated at the property, one on the ground floor and 4 on the 1st floor. Four of the bathrooms have vinyl floor coverings with the other on the ground floor being ceramic tiled.
- The ground floor bathroom has level access and appointed with a shower cubicle, toilet and wash basin, the shower has a step up into the cubicle, the basin is fitted with a single lever mixer tap and the w.c height is around 16.5”.
- The main bathroom upstairs is fitted with a corner bath with shower over, toilet and hand basin, there is level access into the bathroom itself but a step up to the main fitted area within the room. The bath and sink are fitted with two turn handle taps each and the w.c height is around 16.5”
- The other family bathroom on this floor again has level access, a step up to the shower cubicle and twin handle taps to the basin, the w.c is around 16.5” in height.
- The final 2 bathrooms are en suites with a door opening of 22” there are step up to the shower cubicles and twin handles taps to the basins, the w.c heights are around 16.5”.
- The bathrooms have door openings of around 23 / 24”.
- All bathrooms enjoy natural light from the windows and are fitted with either spotlights or in the case of the main bathroom a covered ceiling globe light for when needed.
- The garden enjoys both a paved patio as well as a grassed area, with various seating and tables.
- The patio is accessible from the house via a step and the grassed area has two more steps down from the paved patio area.
- The side of the house is pea shingled.
Location & Map
Frequently Asked Questions
Q - What time is check in/out?
A - Check in times are between 2 - 6pm (unless agreed otherwise) with checkout by 10am on day of departure. If an early check in or late departure time is required then we will do what we can to help, however if this is vital for your plans we recommend guests book the extra night.
Q - Are towels and linen provided?
A - Bedding, linen and bathroom towels are provided with linen and towels changed weekly. Additional bedding, linen and bathroom towels are available at the cost of £25 per set, if required.
Q - What is the broadband speed and mobile phone reception like at The Dairy House?
A – Below left are the links to see the UK’s coverage for the major 6 mobile phone networks. These are intended for use as a guide only and are not always 100% accurate as forces outside of the control of the telephone providers may affect the signal within or around the property.
Below right is the results of a recent broadband/wifi speed test taken within the property. This gives a good indication of speeds available within the building but may vary depending on external factors at any given time.